Does the latest COVID-19 outbreak have you sitting at home, unable to engage in your usual course of employment due to lockdown restrictions, or having to isolate ?
The NSW Government has released two forms of payment for the current COVID-19 situation.
PANDEMIC LEAVE DISASTER PAYMENT:
Support is available to you if you live in New South Wales and can’t earn an income because you must self-isolate or quarantine, or are caring for someone with COVID-19. You are only eligible for this support, however, if you have been directed by NSW Health to isolate or quarantine. If you are eligible, you can receive up to $1,500 for each 14 day isolation or quarantine period.
More information, and how to claim, is available here:
COVID-19 DISASTER PAYMENT:
If you reside in a declared COVID-19 hotspot, and cannot attend your usual course of employment, or as a sole trader cannot operate your business from home due to this lockdown, you may be eligible for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment. The payment is only available for the periods 1 July 2021 to 7 July 2021, and 8 July 2021 to 9 July 2021. Separate applications have to be submitted for each period.
However, there are strict eligibility criteria that need to be met. The COVID-19 disaster payment is available to eligible workers who can’t attend work or who have lost income because of a lockdown and don’t have access to paid leave entitlements. And, it only applies from the eighth day of lockdown. That is, there is nothing you can claim for the first week of a lockdown.
How much could you be eligible for?
It all depends on how many hours of work you have lost during the lockdown period. Like JobKeeper, it is declarable as taxable income, so it will need to be declared.
- Less than 20 hours lost, the payment amount is up to $325 for each claim period
- More than 20 hours lost, the payment amount is up to $500 for each claim period
Further details can be found here:
SMALL BUSINESS COVID-19 SUPPORT GRANT:
The grant is available to small businesses and sole traders with a turnover of more than $75,000 per annum, but below the NSW payroll tax threshold of $1,2000,000 as at 1 July 2020.
You must employ less than 20 full time employees, have an ABN registered within NSW, and be able to demonstrate that you operate your business within NSW.
HOSPITALITY AND TOURISM COVID-19 SUPPORT GRANT:
The grant is available to hospitality and tourism operators with a turnover of more than $75,000 per annum, and an annual wages bill below $10M as at 1 July 2020.
You must have an ABN registered within NSW, and be able to demonstrate that you operate your business within NSW.
WHAT CAN THE GRANTS BE USED FOR?
Grant funds can be used for business expenses for which no other government support is available, including:
- Meeting business costs, including utilities, wages and rent
- Financial legal or other advice to support business continuity
- Marketing and communication activities to develop the business
- The cost of perishable goods that can no longer be used
- Other activities to support the operation of the business
WHAT CAN YOU GET?
Eligible businesses receiving either the Small Business Grant or the Hospitality and Tourism Grant can receive:
- $10,000 for a decline in turnover of 70%, or more
- $7000 for a decline in turnover of 50%, or more
- $5000 for a decline in turnover of 30%, or more
More info can be found here:
Grants and Loans – COVID-19 Support Package
OTHER BENEFITS AVAILABLE:
- Extension of time in which to use Dine & Discover vouchers to 31 August 2021 (and may now be used to takeaway or delivery)
- Optional deferral of payroll tax payments originally due in July 2021
- An extension of time for businesses in which to finalise Income Statements for employees with the ATO from 14 July 2021 to 31 July 2021
- More than $11M for increased support for people at risk of homelessness plus assistance to vulnerable temporary visa holders, asylum seekers and refugees
If you, a family member or loved one are suffering through this latest lockdown, we strongly urge you to reach out for a chat. Please contact Lifeline 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue 1300 224 636